My
voice has gone deeper in Chiang Mai, I’ve noticed. It isn’t because I’m
particularly relaxed; I’m still a neurotic, and have a ways to go before true calm.
It’s because I’m alone. My conversations are mostly internal, and when I do get
to speak to someone, it comes from within, down deep below the diaphragm, the
words measured and unhurried. Of course, once I get on a roll, the motormouth
version of me which you know and love takes over, and my voice assumes its
accustomed comical pitch.
But
by and large, throughout the day, it’s just me. Unlike people traveling in
pairs and over, I have no one sitting across the café table, nothing to
punctuate the meal. I gobble up my food and then, if I am in the mood, sit and muse.
It makes for an odd display: a lone foreigner staring catatonically into the
middle distance. But internal or shared, I need conversation. Yesterday I sat
in a random café to try and finish Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett’s Good
Omens (thanks, Galiti!) and/or to think. Like most cute little joints in
Chiang Mai, it had a gimmick, this one being Coca Cola memorabilia and other
Americana. The manager was dressed in an American flag pajama-looking set. My
table was a fish tank, and from the rafter above me Mickey Mice hanged executed
convicts. (see picture.) I tried focusing as best I could, but the music in the
place was boy band treacle. You try meditating to the heavy-breathing strains
of “see you once agaaaain, my loooove.” So meditation wasn’t perfect. I took a
few pictures, including of a poster I see plastered all around Chiang Mai: Self
Hypnosis for Self Improvement. The moment I began breaking that down in my
mind, I ran into the immediate need to have my friend next to me to talk about
it. She is the exact person with whom I would have shared that specific
discussion. I experienced her absence from that fish-tank table in the form of a
physical pain.
That
said, I am careful not to over-familiarize myself just because I’m lonely, but
rather to choose prudently whom to open to. For one, I maintain a safe
operating distance from the locals who serve my traveling needs. In the past I
tended to ingratiate them, probably due to their own hardened businesslike
aloofness. It was, as ever anywhere, a subtle battle of wills – and I waved the
white flag. This would often grant them excessive liberty with my personal
affairs, and I’d end up making concessions to their omnipresent gaze so as not
to embarrass myself. In other words, I became known where I should have enjoyed
anonymity. I’ve learned my lesson, and am more guarded now – for example, I
have not told my guest house owner that I stayed in her place before, for a
long time. Better that she think of me as a new customer, perhaps one that’s a
bit hard to please, a man you can’t quite get a handle on. Let me be the enigma
and they the guessers, not the other way around. Besides, I am the one shelling
out cash, so fuck it. I do seek the company of other travelers. I’ve met Danes,
Germans, Chinese, Americans, and of course my local buddy, the Italian Robert
Redford lookalike, Romano. (I’ve also noticed that French and Spanish people
make very convincing Israelis; could fool me; like us, they shave less, iron
less, and dress more like they’re going the beach.)
Not
that there aren’t lots of Thais I enjoy meeting. Here in Chiang Mai, that is.
This place might as well be another Thailand. After a person who sold me a
banana shake wished me a wonderful day, and a money exchange man did the same,
and a hotel hostess took three minutes out of her time to explain to me which other
hotels might have a swimming pool for me, and two Thai girls at a food
market gave me a ride home on their scooter (and let me drive!) – see picture –
after all this, I realized that Chiang Mai’s people are simply more cultured.
They make the south and Bangkok seem like low-bred animals. It’s not that they
don’t need to make money; no one will give you a room just because you have a
nice smile; it’s that they have a more beautiful and humane sense of business.
Theirs appears to be a win/win approach, whereas in Bangkok it’s the win/get-fucked
school. That said, at that food market where I got a ride home, I still got the
farang price for dessert. Can’t win ‘em all.
And
of course, there’s the prostitutes. Of all the Thai elements, this is the one
closest in vibe to Bangkok (although, as I’ve mentioned before, milder
here. And not all over the place.) You do see young brown women with old white
men. You do see young brown women reenact fake jollity each night at the designated
bars and hangouts. You do see the same young brown women everywhere, a cautious
unsmiling look behind the expert welcoming smile. One night walking home by the
canal, I passed such a couple of women, sandwiching a young white guy. “Where
you go?” one of them asked me in a voice not unlike one of the Chipmunks. “Noodles,”
I said, and indeed crossed the canal to get some. A few moments later, so did
they. The guy and I exchanged a few words, and he invited me to go with them.
I
thought a beat. “Nah, not my scene.”
They
hung around for a cab, then changed their minds and decided to eat. I invited
them to sit at my picnic table. The guy was American, Jewish (oddly, every
single American I’ve met so far has told me they’re Jewish.) The girls were the
cartoon voice one, who had a lovely sense of humor, and an Indian/Nepali
looking one who acted very quiet and mysterious. She played her cards close to
her chest, or, I believed, might be new to the bar girl game and is still in
shock, the other one being her mentor. As the guy was young and handsome, I wasn’t
sure if they’re bar girls or not, but it sure seemed that way, especially with
the overstated coyness of the quiet Indian-looking one. She had gorgeous raven
hair, a healthy young figure, and deep, black, surreptitious eyes.
“Where
did you say you’re from?” the American guy asked her, trying to get the Thai
word right. “Sip—Sipti—Sippitt— ”
She
looked at him calmly and said, “Kanchanaburi.”
Dude
wasn’t even close. I laughed hard, and the Mickey Mouse one said I have a great
laugh. She had a true pleasantness about her, a something real, without the
hard edge usually found in Thai girls working the tourist beat. Over the next
few days, I ran into one or both of those girls no less than five times (!) at
different places. I found them to be genuinely friendly and polite, but kept my
distance. I kept wondering if they indeed are of the bar persuasion. Two days later
I passed a girlie bar and saw the Indian-looking one chatting up a tourist. It’s
always a relief to establish facts.
I
have an inflamed hip from too much walking, and I’m in a bit of pain. But in things
are good. I’m saving more money here and having a better time. The tiny
bottle of shampoo I filched from the overexpensive hotel in Bangkok has lasted
me forever. It’s like a Hanukkah miracle, only with haircare. My private toilet
has a little drip in the back, but it’s okay. There are a couple of ants in my
bathroom, but it’s okay. Actually, it shouldn’t bother me at all. It’s
something I’ve just realized: at home, you don’t mind insects that much. A
couple of ants here, a mosquito there, a cockroach putting in a guest
appearance. No big deal. But when traveling, especially in tropical countries,
every bug is an infestation. Got bit by a mosquito? Start planning for
malaria. Unidentified brown flying thing landed on your shin for one moment?
Three days later you discover a scratch on the back of the other shin and
think, that’s how starts. Paranoia.
Okay,
my banana shake is long gone, and the people whose café’s WiFi I am using have not
bothered me to buy another for too long. Chiang Mai is nice. Here are some
photos and a video.
| Waitress chillin' |
| Mickey getting his just deserts |
| The two girls I met at the food market, who gave me a ride home. They're 21, university students |
| With Romano and Jade |
| Self Hypnosis for Self Improvement |
10 comments:
After traveling alone for 6 months, I can relate with your report on loneliness. I, on the other hand, enjoyed every bit of it at the time. And if I thought about stuff that would usually spark a conversation with anyone I knew, I would imagine what he/she would say. On the other hand, I wasn't such a people person back then...
Good to see you're enjoying yourself. Yesterday I saw The Hangover 2 - GD Bangkok! - "Bangkok's got him now, and she'll never let go..."
When you finish Good Omens there's a good secondhand bookshop on Ratchadamnoen Road, near Tha Pae Gate.
One thing that illustrates Thai attitudes to tourists: Thai people are the only ones I meet here in England who, if I tell them I've been to their country, instead of being impressed or friendly, are dismissive; like, it makes me worse, not better, that I've been there. Our fault though, I guess.
If you see that young elephant stretching its trunk into the bars, that always gave me a baleful, knowing look because it knew I'd only ever once bought a bag of sugar cane from its handler to feed it, tell it I remember too!
Kfir: don't forget I'm at a different age now. Not only am I more at peace with "society," I also am less prone to assume what people might think or say. I'd rather let my friends surprise me, which they invariably do.
Brian: I will not sell my raggedy book. I will only give it to others. I've long since realized that making a few shekels on a secondhand item is far less gratifying than passing it forward.
Also, you seem to repeat the idea that shitty attitudes from Thais are "our" fault. No, they are not. Shitty attitudes are shitty attitudes. If you respect Thais enough to have a mind of their own, you should respect them enough to make choices of their own. If someone chooses to be an asshole, it's on THEM.
Self hypnosis. Sounds interesting.
I enjoy your every word, Raz.
I didn't mean for you to sell your book; I meant for you to buy another one!
Masha: Yes, I'll bet it does sound interesting to you. NLP manipulators, anyone?... And I'm glad you enjoy reading. Who's it for if not my friends?
Brian: I have another one lined up in my bag, a Woody Allen collection.
1. Middle distance. Had to look that one up ... good one!
2. "In the past I tended to ingratiate them, probably due to their own hardened businesslike aloofness. It was, as ever anywhere, a subtle battle of wills – and I waved the white flag. This would often grant them excessive liberty with my personal affairs, and I’d end up making concessions to their omnipresent gaze so as not to embarrass myself." Woah. Can you draw me a flow chart?
3. "Hanukkah Miracle" Shampoo ... new business idea? Christian Version (continuing the theme) ... "Loaves & Fishes Conditioner."
Julie:
1. Really?
2. Yes.
Scenario 1: The person selling me, e.g., accommodation, acts a bit cold, like they're doing me a favor, like backpackers are a nuisance, etc. -> I am vibed into becoming conciliatory, even though I am a paying customer -> to get into their good graces and show I'm a nice guy, I open up about myself -> They have power over me because they know personal information on me (and it's one-sided.)
Scenario 2: I maintain aloofness and smile less at them, reminding them at all times that I am the customer and they are serving me, and that's the way things are going to be, end of story.
3. How about a Ramadan Rug Shampoo?
Just looked up the Hanukkah miracle, 8 days of menorah light from one day's oil.
Both this and Jesus' loaves and fishes have a precedent in Elijah and the widow of Zarephath, when her jar of flour and jug of oil lasted until the end of the God-imposed drought.
1 Kings 17:7-16.
Re: #2: AH!! Totally get it now. That helps, thanks.
Post a Comment