In
2003, in Bangkok, as a friend and I were returning late at night from the bars,
we passed a homeless man on his regular corner. This man was naked but for very
short pants, his hair matted with filth, and his body and face coated in thick,
black soot. He looked like a deranged minstrel. Grinning at us toothlessly, he gave
the old thumbs-up, and uttered the perennial slogan: “Thailand number one!”
(“Oh
yeah?” I muttered to my friend once at a safe distance, “where else have you
been?...”)
This
is just one extreme, absurd example of the knee-jerk nationalism stoked so
carefully and intensively here. When a man whose country has reduced him to absolute
shit still thinks it’s number one, then the wedding of propaganda and
gullibility is complete. As in many cases, you must believe it’s number
one – otherwise you’d have to face some dire realities. In reality, there are
many Thailands, and Thailand No. 1, that of the mega-rich, might as well
be a parallel universe to where Sooty lives (lived?), which has to be somewhere
in Thailand No. 8 or 9.
I’m
writing this on the train to Chiang Mai, a 12-hour ride. It’s okay, I’m in an
AC car. Leaving Bangkok feels like leaving an abuser, one of those insidious
ones that promise the moon but just bleed you. Leaving this town costs money,
it’s a physical effort, and strangely, I’ve found that it took resolve. But thirty
minutes out and already the landscape seems gentler, cleaner, not just
physically. I took a taxi to the train station. The driver was a Thai Chinese
(they’re a large subset of society) who’d driven a minibus for 20 years and
recently bought his own taxi. I asked him if he knew who the taxi kings of
Bangkok were. Whoever owns those massive fleets of omnipresent red / yellow /
pink taxis must be very rich, and very connected. My driver, however, was a
freelancer.
“The
taxi and tuktuk drivers around hotels and tourist enclaves are no good,” he as
much as told me with his broken English.
I agreed
enthusiastically, citing the fact that they all spout Thailand-number-one
type slogans while peddling the bodies of thousands of Thai women for a song. Around
the tourist enclaves, the taxi and tuktuk drivers are generally procurers and
conmen – it’s the rule, not the exception.
If I
go to the strip shows, my driver told me, I’ll pay 500 baht, while he’ll pay
20. I was beginning to like this guy. He was honest and real; he presented no
illusions. (Even the approximate meter price he’d quoted me to the train
station when I boarded the cab was accurate.)
“Fine,
I get farang (foreigner) price. I understand. I’m not Thai, okay. But how can
they say Thailand number one and still do all that?” I said.
“Thailand number one colupchuh,” my driver noted dryly. It took me a moment. Number one in corruption. Now I really liked him. No cabbie I’d ever met
here had the honesty, sincerity, and balls to say this. I nodded in
appreciation. He went on to tell me that the cops are also crooked here, from small
fry to bigwigs, another tidbit absent from tourism copy.
“I
have never been to any of those strip shows and don’t intend to,” I told him.
“Because I know that money goes to the mafia, the same guys who force poor
girls from the northeast into prostitution. I wouldn’t give those people a
single Baht.” A philosophy I try to live by at home, too, where I avoid
“legitimate” crime-owned businesses (that I know of.)
“All
the tuktuks around Khao San and the tourist area are mafia,” he said. “And the
whole area around the Grand Palace, Phra Athit, etc., that’s all operated by
the mafia.” In short, anywhere tourists go. Bangkok is colupchuh. Big colupchuh.
Written
later: the train ride
The
12-hour ride is nearing Chiang Mai. While the tourist greeters at the train
station in Bangkok told us there would be little food onboard, and that we must
bring our own, we have been fed continuously – three rather tasty meals, and as
many coffee and cake rounds. It’s good that I took this daytime ride rather
than the nighttime sleeper carriage where you go to sleep and wake up
elsewhere. This way I got to see the transition in the landscape, to feel that
I made this transition too. Going north, at one point the land started getting
hillier, lusher, much greener. Just seeing all that green was worth the trip. Now
we are passing through a clear, brilliantly starlit night in the mountain pass.
I spent over an hour between carriages (o, the lax safety regulations of
developing nations!) chatting to an Australian girl, enjoying the slowly
darkening jungle, breathing the diesel fumes, smoke from agro fires, and wet, ever-cooling
night air. And I was traveling. Oh, yes.
Assuming
this post has not been intercepted by some form of mind police, here are some images
from the ride. Click on photos to enlarge.
Between cars
| The State Railway of Thailand thinks that "Lost" was remiss in adhering to plot rules. |
| AC car with fans, which came in handy, because the AC was spotty |
| Emblem of the State Railway of Thailand. Every emblem here looks like a combination of Batman and the Freemasons |
| This girl slept almost through the entire ride. I was impressed. |
| Like Instagram, but not fake |
Postscript:
I
spoke in haste regarding the train ride. Turns out it was 3 hours late. We were
on it for 15 hours (!) and it reached Chiang Mai near midnight. When I wrote we
were “nearing Chiang Mai” I was wrong. We were nearing 3 more hours on a
slow train. Then it reached a city I thought was Chiang Mai, but was actually
Lampang. There was more and more slow crawling through the night. I spent more time
between cars, and at one point saw treetops beneath me in the dark as we
crossed an abyss. Once we finally set foot in Chiang Mai, I was happy. The
fatigue left me. I checked into Little Home, a guesthouse I once, many years
ago, stayed in with a Japanese girlfriend. I woke up an old lady, spent the
first night in a musty storage room of some sort, but now have my own beautiful
room for exactly half of what I paid in Bangkok. Chiang Mai awaits me, and I
it. It’s just friendlier here – I have not been pestered too much by touts, and
even the tourists take on the city’s easier, less paranoid (than Bangkok) air. I
went out for beef noodles at a place she and I used to frequent, where the guy sits
out front in a little rowboat that has all the cookware set up around him.
Delicious.
7 comments:
More questions:
1. " ... knee-jerk nationalism stoked so carefully and intensively here." Who does the stoking?
2. "... 12-hour ride." That seems kinda slow. Is it? Why? (i.e., "I spoke in haste regarding the train ride. Turns out it was 3 hours late. We were on it for 15 hours (!) and it reached Chiang Mai near midnight. "
3. What is an "agro fire" (or is that agro-fire, like agribusiness)?
4. "The State Railway of Thailand thinks that "Lost" was remiss in adhering to plot rules.
" Can you explain?
5. Chiang Mai -- why did you pick this city to go to next? Same river ... or different?
Thanks for the video and photos ... very cool.
Hey Raz, you're getting a visit from President Obama!
Any plans for Burma? Check this forest cover map to compare with Thailand:
http://www.worldmapfinder.com/Map_Detail.php?MAP=66423&FN=thailand_forest_cover.jpg&MW=1000&MH=1311&FS=582&FT=jpg&WO=0&CE=2&CO=65&CI=0&IT=0&LC=1&PG=1&CS=utf-8&O=2&FU=http://www.learnnc.org/lp/media/uploads/2008/09/thailand_forest_cover.jpg&SU=http://www.learnnc.org/lp/multimedia/9518
Joooles: It's the Ping river, a tributary of the Chao Phraya which flows through Bangkok. The major populated part of the country is in this basin.
Raz: you were very pedantic about the train ticket; substitute 'loss' for 'lost' and it's perfect English. Less remiss than your 'agro fire' in fact!
PS Love your 'Colupchuh' title!
My grandmother's best friend in New York's son owned a brothel in Bangkok. Jewish guy from New York; not mafia - old Bronx real estate money. His first-cousin is Judge Judy's husband.
Here's a website where some Thai strip clubs are offered for sale http://thailand.businessesforsale.com/thai/search/Strip-Clubs-for-sale-in-Thailand# Looks like you don't have to be mafia to buy one - and they are downright affordable.
While of course forced prostitution, just like every other kind of crime exists just about everywhere, and to be sure there is more child prostitution in Thailand than perhaps anywhere, here's a mainstream media article about prostitution in Thailand based on academic research, not feminist dogma which so coincidentally segues with the interests of the older and unattractive women that want the same money guys pay to the young hotties. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2009-02-04/thais-entering-sex-industry-to-fund-affluence-study/283488?section=justin
Brian and Julie, the comment about Lost was in reference to the TV series Lost. I was not over-pedantic, but simply noticed a possible wordplay.
Julie: Chiang Mai, because I remembered it being nice and mellow, and it seemed like a potentially good idea.
Andrew: okay.
Happy to read an optimistic post. have fun.
Kfiri - happy to write one.
Post a Comment