Saturday, December 15, 2012

Being poor ain't all it's cracked up to be

I'm in Laos, after taking a bus from Chiang Mai via Khon Kaen. I'll tell you all about it, but now I'd like to take a break from reportage to share something that's bugged me for years. If you're not into all that philosophizin', skip to the photos.

- -

Of all the bullshit wisdom parroted by people who’ve traveled in Asia, the one that makes me want to shake them violently and slap them in the face until they start making sense is this desperately wishful idea: that the poor locals possess a superior attitude to life that makes them happier and more content than a (not poor) westerner. Strike the mystical gong. “They know what’s important. They have mastered the art of living. They’re free of our petty neuroses and material shackles. They take joy in simplicity. They don’t need the material things we have. They’re happy because they’re poor – not like us, always chasing the next rainbow yet never satisfied.”

Every time a destitute Asian cracks a smile, some westerner is convinced she saw the face of Buddha. In your country smiles are flukes; here they’re the face of oriental genius. It can’t be, of course, that these are normal humans with normal human pain using humor or positivity to deal with suffering, the way we do. Or that it happens to be a naturally sunny person, a single easygoing individual, apart from any grand collective philosophy. Or that it’s someone just having a good day. No, no, no. Their material situation is worse, so their spiritual one must be better. Because, y’know, the universe is balanced and fair.

This is the wishing away of hard truths, and such an insultingly easy mental leap: they’re poor, and have to work hard all day every day until they die, and will never enjoy a fraction of what I get to enjoy; but since large-scale misery does not exist, they must be very happy. In fact, since I have more than they do materially, let’s bestow upon them more than I have spiritually – let’s make them geniuses. (In the process, I will become a juvenile intellectual cliché and write off my own culture’s entire spiritual wealth as worthless.) I’m materially wealthy, but I can’t make them that – shit, I have only enough cash for this backpacking trip - so I’ll make them spiritually wealthy instead in order to make the world fair.

The world must be fair; that it is unfair is impossible. I will ignore the endless thousands of sad, tired, angry faces I see all around me here in Thailand or wherever. They don’t factor in. And I will ignore that they work from sunup to sundown. Who needs time for yourself when you’re already happy? And I will ignore the corruption and hustling and violence and drunkenness and hair-trigger-tempers behind the obviously fake smiles. Those are statistical deviations. And I will, of course, ignore the fake smiles, the ones so desperate for my tourist dollar. I will imagine them as real ones, even though I know better. I will ignore that I am traveling and free, and that they aren’t and never will be. That’s all just noise, you see. Their world is beautiful, at whatever cost.

But of course liberal guilt is fake, condescending, and embarrassing. These people feel about poverty and hardship the same way you would: badly. They deal with it however they can, and in a variety of ways. Some smile, some don’t. Some would kill you for ten cents, others would share their only meal with you. Just like anywhere. I am Israeli. My country is tense. My society is tense. We have problems that keep us up at night and make us cranky and hostile to one another. We chase money, we’re westernized and materialistic. Yet a lot of people smile, everywhere, every day. Not because they’re middle-eastern geniuses, but just because it’s part of Israeli mentality. A good part. I wouldn’t recommend Israel as a master course in the art of living, but I wouldn’t recommend a tour of Thailand either. I would just recommend that you open your fucking eyes, be honest, take the bad with the good, and cut the nonsense.

Alright, a final batch of photos from Chiang Mai:










The guard goose returns!

5 comments:

Kfir said...

Razi, I think that this idea is a mixture of some truths. I agree with you, but I think that some cultures that were never exposed to the west and are still hunter-gatherers DO want to keep their lifestyle - South American natives, some African tribes etc. This misleads people and they come to the conclusion that poor/wearing loincloths=happy. But yes, it is bullshit...

tarmilai said...

Agreed.

Even though I do think that at least here, in India, people tend to take it easy on things.

For example, when the train in india is 8 hours late, people just sit on the floor, open a rug, and wait.

When the train is late in Israel, people panic and you get newspaper headlines such as "a nightmare in the train station".

Living in 3rd world countries suck, for 90% of the people. But I do think that there's a healthier perspective about life in the far east.


Raz said...

Kfiri, that is different, and I'm glad you brought it up, because those examples are not POOR in the sense that I mean: theirs is not a money-based society in which they're the ones without it.

Raz said...

Eyal: there is perhaps a different perspective in the far east, not necessarily a healthy one. What you describe is stoicism or fatalism, as the case may be, which is not without its horrors. This placid acceptance of late trains, for example, is also related to the (needlessly) placid acceptance of corruption, human rights abuses, etc. IMO, it's just a *different* attitude, with its pluses and minuses.

Brian said...

Oh dear! I just wrote a thesis on the subject; it said it was too many characters, then the computer timed out and I lost it all. Now I don't have the patience to even try to recreate it.